Course Catalogue Winter Term 2022/23
The standard duration of this Bachelor program is 6 semesters. The required course work adds up to 180 ECTS-Credits.
Beginning of the BA program in English
Module 1: Introduction (15 ECTS-Credits)
Module 2: Consolidation (15 ECTS-Credits)
- Lecture series: Overview of disciplinary approaches to culture and society - 6 ECTS
- Complementary seminar to the lecture series. Consolidation of theories and methods in all four disciplines of the Cultural and Social Sciences faculty - 9 ECTS
- Consolidation in Module 2: Seminars in Cultural and Social Studies in English language - 6 and 9 ECTS
The main focus of your studies
Module 3: 30 ECTS-Credits | Module 4: 30 ECTS-Credits
Choose two out of three modules and complete four courses each:
- EUROPE/S – History, Culture, Politics
- MEDIA – Image, Text and Language
- DIFFERENCE – Migration, Gender and Diversity
The participation will be possible in English and/or German
At least 6 ECTS need to be acquired in German (orally or written).
Your Optional Choice
Module 5: 12 ECTS-Credits
Either a deepened focus on one of the topics offered in modules 3 and 4 by attending two more courses in these modules
Take part in two courses in economics at the Faculty of Business Administration and Economics of Viadrina
Take part in two courses in Digital Societies, offered in cooperation with the European New School of Viadrina
Either of the given options can be carried out in English or German
Module 6: 12 ECTS-Credits
In this module you will learn about academic methods and standards tailored to Social and Cultural Studies.
- 1st semester: Practical seminar to aquire writing skills in academic contexts of cultural and social studies - 3 ECTS
- Participation in one disciplinary colloquium (in German)
- Program-specific interdisciplinary colloquium to introduce the research design for your BA-thesis (towards the end of your studies)
Module 7: 36 ECTS-Credits
For students without German as a native language (or without a German university entrance qualification - secondary school qualification, e.g. Abitur or equivalent):
- German (at least B2): We highly recommend all students to aspire a C1 level to be able to proceed a Master program in Germany).
- Competences on a B1 level in a second foreign language or a C1 level in English: Students with a native English background are excepted from choosing English as a foreign language.
For students with German as a native language (or with a German university entrance qualification - secondary school qualification, e.g. Abitur or equivalent):
- B2 level in a foreign language that is not English.
- Competences on a B1 level in a second foreign language or C1 in English.
Practical skills for employability
Module 8: 18 ECTS-Credits
- Minimum of a 4-week internship (6 ECTS) for all students:
- You can acquire all 18 ECTS for this module with a 3-month internship abroad.
- Students not having a German language background can acquire all 18 ECTS for this module abroad (ideally in a German-speaking country) or in Germany
- Other practical skills offeren in Wokshops or practical seminars at the Viadrina in German language (recommendation for students without or with little competence in German).
- The thesis can be written in German or in English.
- The oral examination (about 60 minutes) can be completed in German or in English.
Recommended Course of Studies (following the study regulations from 2021)
Details regarding the modules and conditions can be found in the study and examination regulations.